![]() |
| Left to Right: Me, Marisa, Julianne, Melissa and Laura New Orleans Ritz Courtyard |
I went to New Orleans this past weekend with four girlfriends that I lived with while in college. There was 12 of us that lived together in a split level house our senior year. It was yellow. It has since been painted purple but the legend lives on. We now live in different states with various grown up commitments like significant others, children and careers. Over the past decade we've attempted to plan annual reunions, successfully (who remembers Vegas?) and unsuccessfully (some of these women I hadn't seen in 2yrs!). Not everyone can always make it, (there's always next year Jane!) but we make the most of those who can make it work. It's the best way to reconnect away from adulthood and retell those stories that you never want anyone who knows you now to hear anyways.
This year we starting in January with the plans. Sophisticated tactics were used, like doodle for the available weekend and survey monkey for the anonymous chosen city, and alas we arrived at this past weekend in May in NOLA.
I really can't take any of the credit for the planning. Jules & Marisa put together a nonstop itinerary.
A recent bon appetit article was called A wild, tipsy eating marathon in the "new" New Orleans. This is also the best description of our weekend. You may get dizzy (and vicariously hungry) just following our footsteps but I can't resist sharing.
Friday: 8:30am start with a swamp tour where we saw Alligators, followed by lunch on the Mississippi River with classic muffaletas from Central Grocery. Then onto Pat O'Briens patio for classic hurricanes. Tour French Quarter before drinks at the Ritz Courtyard then dinner at Cochon, rated one of top 10 best restaurants of 2013. Post dinner cocktails at Hotel Monteleone where they had a carousel bar. It actually moved around as you sat at the bar. Jazz on Frenchmans Street, Bourban Cowboy for dancing and ending the night (or morning) at Gold Mine Saloon.
Saturday: A less ambitious start due to 5am bedtime but just as excited for shrimp & fried green tomatoes po'boys at Mahoneys, followed by shopping in Uptown & the Garden District. Dinner at Jacques Imo's for authentic southern cuisine, followed by blueberry mojitos in the patio at St. Joes. Then ended the night with beignets at the classic Cafe du Monde.
Sunday: Marisa and I were the last to leave so we filled our day walking with French Quarter stopping at Erin Rose for Killer Poboys and bloodies. Then Domenica for a taste of John Besh. (Both recommendations for the BA article I linked to above.) There were times over the weekend I laughed so hard I cried. It was more fun that my heart, stomach and liver could take. But rest assured come next year I'll be ready to do it all over again. To see all the pictures from the trip, including one of me holding an alligator click Here
And I know this blog is about Subies (plural) so don't worry about Mr. Soobs. Paul was having just as much fun as me this past week. He made it two Blackhawks playoff games at the United Center and A Wicker Park Bocce Fundraiser at Fulton Market Gallery.




No comments:
Post a Comment