Sunday, January 27, 2013

Birthday Big Apple Style


Paul surprised me this month and took me on a trip to Manhattan for my birthday weekend. He managed an awesome flight schedule so we packed plenty in 48hrs and no missed work. My friend Rachael lives in the village and gave up her apartment to us as she was traveling on the west coast (I only accepted because I'll be spending next weekend with her on our annual girls trip). We felt very hip having our own place and vowed to do things we've never done before.

We landed near 12am Friday, set our bags down and grabbed a drink at Whitehall and then $1 pizza slices in Rachael's neighborhood. Saturday we took off for MoMA where we spent time wandering the galleries. I think the curator said it best: "Art can provide a balm for the modern soul". Paul however wants it noted that he thinks Picasso is overrated and Pollack is a genius. That's art by Mr Soobs. 

We followed the museum with a stroll through Central Park and then onto lunch. Whatever you feel towards Gwyneth Paltrow her Goop City app is great for recommendations. I used it for lunch, we went to  Parm in Nolita where I basically made out with the best chicken parm sandwich ever. They even make their own mozzarella. For $12 a hoagie I thought it was amazing. 
An awesome day was followed by a special night. My friend Mackenna who I've known since birth now lives in NYC. We grew up together and even shared Chicago for some time while we were at the same university for grad school. Separated now I love getting a chance to see her in New York. The skyline picture of Paul & me is from her roof top! Anyways, Mackenna understands my love of surprises. Everywhere she took me seem to be down alleys, secret doors and passwords. The first place Fig 19 you walked through a gallery to a white door that was flush against the wall, then opened to a dark intimate bar with prohibition cocktails. I'm a sucker for speak easys. 
Dinner followed at Freeman's full of game meats on our plates and the walls.
To top off the night she took us to Back Room where her and her boyfriend Alec met. I loved that all the cocktails where served in tea cups.
 
Sunday we wrapped up the weekend with a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge in 48 degree weather in January! Brunch with Allison (fellow Michigan alum!) and Andrew at Gran Electrica was the perfect meal accompanied by the best Micheledas after our night out. Allison then gave us a tour of her neighborhood. Paul wore flannel of course and imagined his hipster future as a brooklynite. I'm afraid if we ever moved to NYC together we'd end up living in different boroughs. 








No comments:

Post a Comment