Wednesday: Land in Boston and our friends Danielle & Ben pick us up at airport, treat us to breakfast at Flour, followed by a trip to Fenway Park for Boston Red Sox game. Danielle & Ben opened their home to us and were incredible hosts! Danielle was one of the first people I met when I moved across the country to go to school at University of Michigan, now 14yrs ago. Though we don't see each other often enough, when we do, it's like no time has passed. You don't find friends in life like this easy and I feel lucky to have grown into adulthood together.
It was perfect summer day at a historic ballpark complete with beer, hotdogs, great friends and a win in extra innings for the home team! Post game we hopped on Hubway bike share and toured Boston Commons and downtown.
Thursday: Paul & I played tourists at Cambridge checking out Harvard's campus, then rested our feet at Harpoon Brewery, followed by a tour at USS Constitution.
In the evening we made a trip our to Newton Center to see my friend Adam. He BBQ for us and I got to spend time with his wife and 15month old son. He's teaching at Theology School there and gave us a tour of campus.
Friday: Sadly we had to leave Boston and head to Portland, where we were greeted by our Chicago friend, Kristen who recently moved there. She was an awesome tour guide. We went to Allagash Brewery and Rising Tide in the same day. Then visited a local fish market for fresh lobsters.
Saturday: We took a long walk along the shore and through town, ending at the Farmers Market where they were having pride parade over the weekend. The day ended at our friends wedding at Ocean Gateway.
![]() |
| All dressed up and still couldn't take a serious picture |
Sunday: We packed a picnic for the boat and went deep sea fishing for 6 hours. Unfortunately, no fish - but Paul caught a shark! My favorite part was seeing all the lighthouses. We ended the day with a gastronomical feast at Eventide for oysters & Duck Fat for dinner. Note - if anywhere near Portland, make time for Duck Fat - for their milkshakes they use Duck Fat for the carmel. And Duck Fat fries. Basically, we couldn't get enough.
Monday: We soaked up the sun at East End Beach with our books and then had lunch at The Blue Spoon & treats from Two Fat Cats before taking Concord Coach Line directly back to Logan airport for a return flight to Chicago. Note, the bus was faster and easier than train.
![]() |
| Did you know Portland, ME is where Whoopie Pies originated? Of course I had to have one. |
More than just vacation this trip reminded me how blessed we are to reconnect with friends in both Boston & Maine that we don't see often enough. I hope to return the favor to them in Chicago soon!














Wish I could jump in the Subies suitcases. You sure know how to do vacations right!
ReplyDelete